Colonel Donald W. Richey is the Commander of the 908th Operations Group at Maxwell AFB, Alabama. He leads a team of over 250 Airmen providing tactical airlift, aeromedical evacuation, and control eight C-130 aircraft. He is an Air Reserve Technician (ART), which is a full-time federal civil service employee serving in a selected position within a military unit.
Colonel Richey entered the Air Force in 1986 as a graduate of Auburn University at Montgomery and the Reserve Officer Training Corps program. He entered the Air Force Reserve as an Air Reserve Technician in 2000. As a member of the Air Force Reserve he has flown or directed combat operations supporting several conflicts and contingencies, which include, Desert Shield/Storm, Provide Promise, Operation Joint Guardian, Operation Joint Forge, Operation Joint Enterprise, Volant Oak, Coronet Oak, Operation Enduring Freedom, and Operation Iraqi Freedom.
1986 Bachelor of Sciences in Political Science, Auburn University at Montgomery, Ala.
1997 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University
2008 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. August 1986 - September 1987, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Navigator Training, 452nd Student Squadron, Mather AFB, CA.
2. September 1987 - December 1987, Student, C-130 RTU, Little Rock AFB, AR.
3. January 1988 - August 1989, Navigator, 21st Tactical Airlift Squadron, 374th Tactical Airlift Wing, Clark AB, Philippines.
4. August 1989 - December 1990, Navigator, 21st TAS, 374th TAW, Yokota AB, Japan
5. January 1991 - December 1992, AWADS Instructor Navigator, 40th AS, 43rd AW, Pope AFB, NC.
6. January 1993 - June 1993, Instructor Navigator, 815 AS, 403rd Wing, AFRC, Keesler AFB, MS.
7. June 1993 - April 1996, Instructor Navigator, 357th AS, 908th AW, Maxwell AFB, AL
8. April 1996 – March 2000, Evaluator Navigator, 908th OG, 908th AW, Maxwell AFB, AL
9. March 2000 – May 2003, Chief of Combat Tactics, 357th AS, 908th AW, Maxwell AFB, AL
10. May 2003 – February 2005, Chief, Current Operations, 357th AS, 908th AW, Maxwell AFB, AL
11. February 2005 - July 2007, Chief, Tactical Airlift Operations, Air Operations Branch, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
12. July 2007 – January 2010, Director of Operations, 758 AS, 911 AW Pittsburgh ARS, PA.
13. January 2010 –December 2015, Deputy Operations Group Commander, Youngstown ARS, OH.
14. May-July 2012- Operations Group Commander, 910th AW, Youngstown ARS, OH.
15. August 2012 – February 2013- Maintenance Group Commander, 910th AW, Youngstown ARS, OH.
16. April 2013 – August 2013- Deputy Operations Group Commander, 386 EOG, Southwest Asia
17. January 2016- present, Commander, 908 Operations Group, Maxwell AFB, AL
Rating: Master Navigator
Flight hours: More than 6,200 military hours
Aircraft flown: T-43A, C-130E, C-130H, C-130H2, and WC-130H
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with 5 Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Medal with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device and 6 Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Combat Readiness Medal with 6 Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Force Recognition Ribbon
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal
Kosovo Campaign Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
AF Overseas Long Tour Ribbon
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
AF Longevity Service with 4 Oak Leaf Clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 1 'M' Device
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon (Pistol)
AF Training Ribbon NATO Medal (Kosovo)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 1986
First Lieutenant Jul 1988
Captain Jul 1990
Major Oct 1999
Lieutenant Colonel Oct 2006
Colonel Nov 2015
(Current as of November 2015)