The GTC Card: Don’t go TDY without it

  • Published
  • By Debbie Smith
  • 908th FM
It is that time of the year when many Reservists are going on temporary duty (TDY) for annual tour. When preparing for your TDY, you need to be ready so you can get to your TDY location with no issues. Your Government Travel Card (GTC) should be activated and working. 

Get your Citibank card and check the expiration date. If the card is nearing its expiration, Citibank should mail a new card to you within 30 days of the expiration date. You can call Citibank, your unit point of contact or the Financial Management office for assistance.

Make sure your home address is correct at Citibank.  You can call the 1-800 number on the back of the card and verify your mailing address.  If the address is incorrect they will change it over the phone.

If you need to change your name on your GTC you will have to provide documents to Citibank before they will change the name and send you a new card. Call the 800 number on the card and they will explain what documents are needed to process the change.

If you see there are issues with your GTC card and require assistance call unit POC or the 908th FM office and let us know what we can do to assist. Make sure your GTC card is activated for your TDY dates and that you don't have any issues before you leave.  
Upon return from your TDY, make sure you file your travel voucher. Check your order to see if the filing status is Defense Travel System (DTS) or Reserve Travel System (RTS). If you do not have a DTS account you must register before you get your orders processed. If the filing status is RTS you will file your travel voucher in E-Finance.

If your unit is going on a group annual tour with pre-certified orders, all travel vouchers must be filed before you leave your TDY location.

If you have any questions, call the FM office for assistance.